Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:

> >Terribly new...  I'm talking 68020's!  68851 MMUs!  Incredibly slow 68881
> >FPUs!  Yea!  (well, ok, so the Sun3s don't often use 68851s, but custom
> >MMUs are interesting too)
>
> New!  We got the thing 5 years ago!  :)

I meant your 68040 was new...

> The mail server for
> gussie.alaska.net is NetBSD.  Mac II.  it has da 68881.  68020 and a hefty
> 8MB in 1MB 30pin SIMMS.  :)

> The mud server is a 486 DX 33 which is just as fast as the 68020.  :)

Must be something wrong with it... The MacII only gets a mere 3.02 Bogos
:)  (yes, that's not a real benchmark, but who cares!)

> I don't have an advanced MMU in the mac II.  I can't have 1.4MB disks!  :)

The 2mb disk problem has nothing to do with the MMU.  The floppy problem
has to do with having old ROMs.  All the 68851 gives you is an
infintesmaly small speed gain in MacOS and the possibility of running
better OSes (A/UX, *BSD, Linux).  Well, and just the satisfaction of
knowing that you COULD use real 32bit addressing if you wanted to.  (The
MacII has addressing oddities because of some stupid things Apple
did...actually this is probably relavent to 89/92 programming as well --
24bit addressing.)

> Who ever uses disks though?

Certainly not I.

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982