Re: TI-H: I'm baaaaaacccccckkkk!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: I'm baaaaaacccccckkkk!!!

>From: Christopher Kalos <raptorone@geocities.com>
>The ring part is correct, the token part is not.  Thinnet is still
Ethernet,
>so no tokens are involved.

I don't have refrences handy, nor do I care to discuss it
at length.

In short, a token passing system can be implimented in two
basic ways, logicaly and physicly.  A physical system in
essence has a wire running from one computer to the next
and traffic is passed in one direction around the system
(naturally opposed rings exist also).  The token is then
passed from one machine to the next along the direction of
flow.

A logical system works similarly, but the machines need not
be connected in a ring.  I'm sure many schemes can be invented
to pass the token, and I won't go into it, but basicly the
token is passed for one machine to the next, and the token is
given to each machine in turn, the difference is that the token
must be passed by address rather than by physical arrangement.

Both are true token ring systems, just implimented in
different ways.

DK