Re: TI-H: TI <--?--> I2C

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI <--?--> I2C

Go to www.clinet.fi/~ozone/i2c for information on the Mbus and I2C systems.
 Grant is right in that you only can legally use the I2C protocol if you
have a I2C device made by Phillips in the network.  However, its not likely
that Phillips is going to come to your house and investigate your
calculaotr for fear that it may use the I2C protocol.

Back to your initial question, yes, two calculators using a ti-cable can
use the i2c protocol. When grant said there was no MBus, he meant that
there was no MBus protocol.  While this is not entirely true (Osma did
modify the I2C protocol slightly to better accomadate a calculator
network), the MBus system is more like a bunch of routines which enable you
to use the I2C protocol from your calculator over the link port.

Jonathan Kaus

At 10:19 PM 10/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>There is no MBus.  Under the restrictions made by Philips the standard must
>be called 'I2C' and have atleast one authorized I2C device on the network,
>none of which include a TI calculator.
>
>You can use the I2C bus routines on your calculator only if you have a real
>I2C device on the network.
>
>The SDA and SDC lines are all connected in parallel and handshaking is
>accomplished similar to 10b-t ethernet, but not totally the same.  All
>grounds also have to be connected.
>
>Grant
>
>>Could you explain this a bit clearer?  I've heard that the MBus "system"
>>is a hub, a protocol, and now I am hearing that it is neither.  Please
>>clarify your response.
>>

>>-Miles Raymond

-Jonathan Kaus
kaus@cybrzn.com