Re: TI-H: heh

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: heh

In a message dated 11/29/98 5:11:55 AM Central Standard Time,
gussie@alaska.net writes:

> I think you'd be suprized to see a Sun.  You and everyone you know prefers
>  CISC because its cheep ($90 for a 300MHz processor, $1,300 for computer).
>  But people in the RISC market get what they pay for.  ($700 for 300MHz
>  processor, $6,000 for computer).
>  And if you realy want a good Sun, you would have to get a Sparq.  I think
>  they start at $25,000 or so.  But again, it will eat pents and PPCs for
>  lunch.
The directly above statement (it will eat pents...) is true.  However, I
personally would prefer to have 20 decent P II class machines to a single
Sparq.  For this reason, I don't think that the statement about getting what
you pay for, is true.  Perhaps for the scientist running some pretty intense
applications, maybe some stuff dealing with number permutations or something,
it is, but for the other 4,999,999,999 people in the world, I don't think so.

Rob Hornick