Re: TI-H: CBL clone (METER)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: CBL clone (METER)

On 13-Nov-98, Neil wrote:

> ---Visti Andresen <talpa@mip.ou.dk> wrote:
>> YES!! (as I don't have a scope it would be nice...)
>> btw. what about making all the different units as I2C devices (yes I
> know that
>> would require ASM to be used but then again i think that TI-Basic is
> to slow
>> any
>> way atleast on the 92, and some one could make an ASM "driver" some
> thing like
>> SendI2C(args) (still requiring an ASM shell))
>
> I was thinking of that, but you ARE able to control it using basic. My
> (one of mine) idea was to take an AVR, attach I2C devices to it, then
> give commands in basic to the AVR and let the AVR control the I2C bus.
> Repeat, i'm thinking of it, i'm still desiding what should get in the
> system. Anyway watch the list for any further anouncements.

so you send CBL "things" to the AVR that transforms that into I2C... Well...
COOL :o)

well people could build just about any thing for that

printer port?

logic analyser (more or less just some RAM attached to the bus)

general IO port (slow (as fast as the calc/port))

signal generator (ram + DAC) (could be used as a "sound" card)

drive interfaces (like floppy, IDE, SCSI)

and I guess there are tons of other stuff that people could find more or less
use full (no one said that the ones above is use full ;o) )

well just build the thing and start making stuff for it :o)

things that I think the AVR "command codes" should "do"

send I2C start signal
send I2C stop signal

send/get I2C bit
wait/send I2C ack
send/get I2C byte

send/get I2C byte to/from device xxx (not that important)

This would enable the programer/HW designer to use some strange I2C (I don't
know if it actually 100% correct I2C) where he/she can do just about any thing
when he owns the bus (some "I2C" devices use "strange" protocols)
One of these "strange" things is 1. signal start and send device address, mode
write. 2. write a byte. 3. read xx bytes. 4. send I2C stop.

(it would of cource be nice if the AVR allowed more than one bus master(it
self))