Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

>From: "Jon Olson" <morph@jmss.com>
>god no...we shouldn't have to worry about defragmenting it

LOL

Really guys, free space defragmentation is VERY simple!
Its just scooting the blocks of data to the lowest free
address.  There would be a little bit of preliminary
shuffling of the allocation table (to move all unused
allocation blocks to the end of the table), but thats
simple too.

>especially if you're keeping it in-circuit...

Thats what I would recommend, let the AVR do handle
it, unless it gets cramped for program space.  In that
case just an interface to get the player to dump the
allocation table and some commands to tell it to move
data around on the disk and write certain bytes would
allow a computer program to remotely defragment the drive.

>a fairly easy file system consiting of a
>bitmap that says which blocks are used would
>be efficent, easy to program,

Did you read my post?  Thats basicly what I said,
an allocation table of ~200 byte blocks, each
containing song data, start and end blocks, and
maybe a data type flag (MP3 or User).

>and eliminate
>the need for such software (would would undoubtedly be very
>slow since i doubt this takes advantage of PIO/UDMA

The only way you can eliminate the need for the
software is by eliminating the ablity to delete
songs.  It would really suck to have to clear the
drive and redownload everything anytime you started
to run out of space.

DK