Re: TI-H: Chris: Da stuff (I2C radio network)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Chris: Da stuff (I2C radio network)

In a message dated 11/1/98 4:47:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, gussie@alaska.net
writes:

> I think cost effective we can get up into the 2/1.25 meter range.  Maybe go
>  to HF, but U/VHF transmitters are cheep and have a pretty good local range.
>
>  How many people on this list have their ham license?  Anyone that knows
>  basic radio theory can get a license.  I was surprised how easy the test
>  was.  I think you can even score a 'C' and still pass.
>
>  Now if everyone were to get their license, we could start on the radio
>  link.  :)
>
>  We'd have to program the AVRs to automatically send out our call sign and
>  all that junk through Morse code, but other than that most of the packet
>  code is done.
>
>  Its just like a Single Master I2C network the way the packet interface I
>  designed works.  I'm working on multi master radio, but the way radio waves
>  are propagated, there might be frequent collisions.  :(
>
>  Grant

If you wanted a network going and I2C network would have way too many problems
(routing mainly) and the collisions would make the throughput terrible.
There's no way you will get a useful network running on HF (too crowded),
6mtrs(too unreliable), 2mtrs (too crowded), Maybe on 220, or 440......440
being the easiest becuase you can recrystal commercial gear you can get for
free. But by the time you get this high on the spectrum distance stinks if
we're using FM, so it'll have to be SSB, then we get into
distortion........wheew........A WAN isn't practical....it's been tried
before...with computers that are much more versital than calcs.......
A LAN might work but instead of putting money into a calc LAN, just get an
HP200(palmtop computer), a null modem, and the KPC-3 (TNC)...hook it up to an
HT(radio) and you're all set!

~Chris~