Kit Problem-Please read ( was Re: TI-H: backlight...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Kit Problem-Please read ( was Re: TI-H: backlight...)

From: Andrew Boudreau <johnpb@keynet.net>

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/5725

>i want to check how easy it is .. or Richard will you still
>install it ??

I discovered a minor problem with that last set of kits!
While I was installing one for a friend, I noticed that
the length of the lamp was going to be a minor problem.
While cutting these lamps (5 of them), I left the extra
materal beside the connection tab instead of cutting it
out.  This wouldn't be a problem except that when I placed
it in my calculator to check for clearance, I didn't notice
that the extra 1/4 inch covered the screw holes that the
display board is screwed down to! (4am, wasn't paying as
close attention as I should have, sorry about that guys,
won't happen again!).

This fix for this minor bug is easy in most cases, a couple
of you may have slightly more problems.  A couple of the
lamps have connectors on the extreme left or right side
of the lower edge of the board.  Depending on the exact
location, this tab may cover the screw hole.  This cannot
easily be fixed.

If the connector is not in the way of the screw hole,
simply use a sharp pair of sissors and nip the corner
off of the panel where it covers the hole.  Wrap the
cut edge in a piece of tape.  This part of the lamp
will not show up in the display, so opaque tape is fine.
Just be sure to use something that is high tack, and
fairly thin, otherwise it will tend to come off.

If the connector is in the way of the screw hole, you
will have to leave that screw out.  Also, due to the
thickness of the connector, you will have to cut about
2mm or so off of the top of the plastic post that the
screw attaches to.  I used a warm soldering iron with
a wedge tip to do this.
I have done this modification and it takes only seconds,
and does not cause any problems with the security of the
display board mounting (its wedged in there pretty tight
to begin with).
If you are using an alternate case, or you are not
comfortable with leaving the one side of the board unsecured,
a drop of hot glue or a bit of tape should be sufficent
to hold the board in place.
Due to the variation in the panels, you may be able to
adjust the position of the panel such that you are able
to place the screw without any modificatins to the plastic
(you will still have to cut off one corner of the lamp).

Again, sorry for the inconvinance, if you have trouble
installing the lamp or are uncomfortable making modfications,
e-mail me, I will pay your postage to make the modifications
to the lamp, or alternately, to install the kit in your
calc (in this case, I'd greatly appricated it if you would
help with the postage, I'm not made out of money you know,
but it is not required :)

David Knaack