Re: TI-H: This is for you robert

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: This is for you robert

If MS can make money from writing OSs for Intel, the'll do it...whatever
makes them money.  If MS supported Rhaspody, they'd be basically saying,
don't buy our Win95/NT, buy Rhaspody.  Where's your source for this?  I'd
like to read in on this subject some more.
You're right, the 750 isn't a mac chip, though, I'm willing to bet that it
will run predominatly MacOS.
I'm not really seeing much of a problem with the shift to Merced.  Yes,
old CISC based programs have to be emulated, but I'm sure the early series
of Merced chips will be some sort of transition chip that has some better
optimizes the emulation.  After all, Alphas (running NT) have been
emulating x86 for a good while now.

	-Bart
	 Pola@cns.uni.edu
	 Windows NT System Administrator

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:

> >If Microsoft supported Rhaspody, they'd lose out in the OS market...are
> >you sure about this?
>
> Yes.  If micorosft supported rasphody then they wouldn't have to make an OS
> for intel.  They have to support an OS for an intel chip or else the
> justice guys will get mad.
>
> Microsoft supports various platforms, but not other
> >OSs (with the exception of MacOS--can't piss off the Justice Department
> >too much!).  Microsoft is planning to release NT5 for the Intel, Alpha,
> >and the Mac 750 chips.
>
> The 750 isnt a 'mac' chip.
>
> On the other hand, Intel will be (fairly?) soon
> >releasing the Merced chip which is a fundamental shift from CISC to RISC
> >architecture.  Moving away from the rather shakey x86 CISC line, should
> >put them head-to-head with other RISC based chip manufacturers.
>
> and allowing an OS to be rewriten and emulators for CISC software to be
> devolped!  They are going to be too late.

Follow-Ups: References: