Re: TI-H: TI-89/92 ROMs NOT compatible

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SMC12 wrote:

> Why is everyone saying it's $200!!  I got mine for $150, the same price as
> the 89.  The price varies the most on the 92.  Shop around.

TI says the TI-92 is $200, and the TI-89 is $150. That means that some
places may have the TI-89 for a price close to the TI-86! A little
higher. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see TI-89's at WalMart for $130

> Also, what if the ROM modules ARE the same?

NO, they won't.

They might just have some
> conversion hardware that either clips the screen, or scales it down.  I
> wonder what would happen if you put an old 92 ROM into the new 89.  Maybe
> someone should try it?

The TI-89 wont HAVE a ROM MODULE. It'll be soldered on like a normal 8x
series. There isn't room in the case for a module. Trust me on this. The
ROMs are NOT going to be compatible. TI is NOT going to bother with
"conversion" hardware. There's hardly any room in an 8x case anyway
(even thought the keys are wierd, the cases are about the same size).
Don't bother, because the screens show obvious differences. They are not
clipped or scaled. It is a total rewrite. They say It's equivalent to a
TI-92 Plus module feature wise, minus the geometry. They are making a
feature comparison, not saying compatibility. I doubt it even uses the
same chips!

> With this new flash technology, as I understand it, it is possible to put a
> new OS onto the chip.  With 1 meg of space on it, why not put a modified
> MacOS?  When I say modified, I mean, moving the command keys around, and
> pointing the ADB port out the link port (we'd have to supply power
> seperatly.)

OS is Easily done, but I don't know about ADB.

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html

Follow-Ups: References: