Re: TI-H: EII and EIII compatibility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: EII and EIII compatibility

>I'm personaly sick of someone making something and then going on to
>another thing, leaving a handfull of people with something obsolete, or
>everybody with nothing.

I know I make you sick...you have told me on several occasions.

>The EII COULD be made to recognize EII MMODs. It would NOT be that
>difficult to include the built in however much SRAM you like, and then
>have an external MMOD port, so EIIs and EIIIs can share the same medium.
>Like disks!!! I'll give total permission to build MMODs right here and
>right now!!! Use a standard design, and nobody ever has to worry about
>compatibility ever again!!!

There is no reason to change the mod for the EII, the interface is the same.

>The SRAM can be intenal, maybe 32 megs or something. The MMOD will be a

No it won't.

>way to exchange data between EIIs which use it as a primary memory and
>EIIIs which use it as a secondary memory. The MMOD can be built with a
>SINGLE chip, the $10 AT45D040 or whatever it is. Add a case and male
>header, plus the distributor's shipping charge for parts, and you have
>an MMOD!!! I'd personaly prefer to pass MMODs around to share my data
>than passing around my whole expander.

Then you will have to confirm with the new standard when it comes out.  I
cannot keep using these parts to their wimpiest extent.

>Please, consider this. It would be a BIG plus!!! only use an extra

How many people have built an EuP?  No one built an EII.  There is a way to
make the EII compatible.  I will post that when it comes out.

>header for the actual device. Also, how big will the EIII be??? I know
>it can fit in my case I designed

No you don't know it will fit in your case.

, even a SIMM or two could be made to
>fit!!!

SIMMS are DRAM.  Dynamic Ram.  they require a refresh circut.

Also, doesn't SRAM require power???

Not Dallas'.

That means you'd need a
>backup battery and if some moron takes it out, you lose your data. The
>MMOD can sit around at the bottom of a locker or bag for years,
>DECADES!!!

SRAM retains data longer in some cases.

The MMOD is cheap and would be the perfect "floppy disk" for
>the calculator, where the EIII can be the hard drive!!!

The EIII will not be a hard drive.  It is a 256k to 8MB, with IR built in.
IR operates at 38400.  Fast enough.

also, is the
>EIII going to include backup support??? If it does, I'd say, get a cheap
>LCD character module for it, an up and a down button, and a send button.
>You could have it send a choice of backups.

You can have 1 backup defined for each calc.  At the least it will send a
backup with driver.

>Also, if we went that far, why not go all the way. have TI link protocol
>support and you can send files to the EIII via the link window and send
>them from the EIII to the calc by selecting them with the LCD on the

>EIII! THat would RULE!!!
I've thought about it.  It would cost more to make but if you guys like it
fine.  I already have TI82/3 support...

>I'd pay a good $100 for that.
Why?

Add MMOD support,
>maybe a source button to switch between MMOD and SRAM, or even a type of
>detection built into the AVR or the hardware. I still say that EII MMODs

You are acting like the EII is a CD compared to a LD disk...  For people
who havn't gotten the idea yet:

"The EII is an EuP3 with an 8bit I/O port with an AVR.  It is exactly the
same as the EuP in other respects."-Grant (many times)

>should be supported by the EIII as secondary memory, regardless. If you
>can, add the character LCD and the buttons and TI protocol support. NO
>DRIVER NEEDED!!! You might need an AVR for each calc, but hey! wouldn't
>it be worth it!!!

1 AVR - 5 calcs