TI-H: Turbo 85, and ULTRA TURBO

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Turbo 85, and ULTRA TURBO

>From: "Robert Brack" <reb@netride.com>
>To: "TI-86 Hardware List" <ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org>
>Subject: TI-H: Turbo 85
>Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:23:10 -0500
>
>To turbo an 85, where is the best place (and part number) for the =
>switch?  I checked Mouser, but I couldn't find the right one.

I get the switches from All Electronics. They deal in surplus. The part
number is SSW-30. The phone number is 1-800-826-5432. I cut a small hole
on the side of the calc for the switch and solder it to the bare copper
where the foil screws onto the circuitboard. The switch has two rows of
pins. The bottom row is soldered to the cicuit board just to hold it in
place. The top ones solder to the wires tha lead to the capacitor that
reculates the clock.

I'll also do the job for you if you're interested.

On another note, I've noticed that there is not one Resistor capacitor
circuit, but there's at least two!!! someone mentioned long ago that you
can quicken the keyboard rate on the TI-82 with one capacitor. Another
idea might be that the LCD has one as well. Notice how the cursor
flashes at the same rate even when you switch turbo??? I'm wondering if
the LCD has a similar RC circuit! This may be why the horizontal lines
appear on some TI-85s and why the TI-82/83 and the 92 (maybe) can't have
lower capacitor values. The calculator still runs. I know! I tried it.
The screen messes up, but you can still see that it's working. If you
could increase the frequency of the LCD, then clock the processor even
higher. Imagine how fast you could run the TI-92!!! 16 bits at nearly 20
MHz already turboed. drop that capacitor down to 1pf and increase the
LCD so it doesn't fall out of sync, who knows!!!

Also, has anyone considered adjusting the resistor to see if that alters
speed, or does it matter? I think the processor can handle MUCH higher
speeds. It's just not in sync with the LCD!

Does this sound like a reasonable solution???

Richard Piotter
richfiles1@hotmail.com

The Richfiles TI Page
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html