Re: TI-H: IDE HDD Driver

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IDE HDD Driver

Yes, unfortunately, i've discovered this fairly quickly. Actually, i
haven't even gotten a chance to debug my real code. It's my communication
routines. I was intending to use TI's own protocol. However, when
attempting to implement it (because unfortunately, according to
port_7.txt, you can't just call the rom routines), it is apparently not
communicationg correctly with my machine. Either that, or something is
wrong with the ti.o module for Linux. I'd do this with a graphlink and a
nice piece of com software under windows, but unfortunately, i don't yet
have a graphlink cable. Only my poor inocent parallel link. However, if
anyone has working comm routines that use ti's protocol, i'd appriciate it
if you could post them or e-mail them directly to me (morph@jmss.com).
Until then, i'm stuck debugging by typing it into my TI keyboard in hex.
This is NOT a fun process :>. Anyway, talk to ja.

-- Jon Olson

P.S. Grant, i jsut got around to implementing that change in sector size
today. Once i'm done with that (unfortunately, because of the way i'd
written the routines designed to read the FAT, it requires some fairly
major changes) i'll send it to you.

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Bryan Rittmeyer wrote:

>Well, not to rain on your parade... But its my experience that
>when working with any kind of assembly firmware or driver, 90% of
>your project time is spent debugging, not raw, burst programming.
>:-\
>
>Bryan
>
>morph- wrote:
>>
>> Ok, quick update on that hard disk driver i was writing for Grant's HDD
>> interface. I've gotten most of the driver done without my calc, an HD, or
>> even a microcontroller to test on. Therefore, i have NO idea if it's
>> functional. However, i've asked grant to either send me a pre-programmed
>> chip, along with a schematic, or the firmware itself. As soon as i get
>> that, i'll be able to debug my driver (could take a day or two) but then i
>> think this thing can be released. Oh yah, and grant...i decided to go with
>> TI's protocol for raw communications protocol
>>
>> - Jon
>
>--
>Bryan Rittmeyer
>mailto:bryanr@flash.net