Re: TI-H: MPG's and Misc Ideas

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: MPG's and Misc Ideas

Well, I don't think MPEG3 has much future as an audio standard. Those
compression nuts are pumping out new stuff all the time... and as
computers get more advanced so will the compression algorythms.
I think a portable, digital audio player is a bit ahead of its time,
seeing as how you can't simply walk into a normal music store, plug
in your digital player and have the latest DMB CD downloaded to it in
thirty seconds and your credit card charged $18.95 or whatever.
Sure, you may have ten thousand mp3s on DAT tape but the vast majority
of the population has never even downloaded an MPEG3 player, whereas
almost everyone has a cheap analog tape player/radio. As BETAMAX,
SCSI, and so many other failed "awesome" standards have showed us,
numbers do matter more than quality in the electronics business.

The gas vending idea is a good one, but I think they should just get
rid of gasoline powered automobiles in favor of electric ones. Gas
engines are at best 20% efficient... good electric cars can do about
60%. I'm no environmentalist, but it doesn't make sense to waste
energy.

Man, now I'm way off topic.

Bryan

--