Re: TI-H: TI-Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-Modem

Well, at the risk of making this sound like an ad...
The EII has serial routines and TI routines in the
same firmware, so I could (theoretically) in five minutes
trim down the firmware and release a dedicated "graphlink
clone" chip. I think some others out there have already
done this... and since you are building the device you
can tie the flow control pins to the appropriate rails
and so on. The graphlink provides no form of carrier
detection or anything and it sometimes freezes when I use
it with my TI-92. The beauty of doing things yourself
is that you can fix any problems and save a ton of money.
The AVR chip is about $3 unprogrammed and you can get
MAX233 voltage converters (needed to convert 5VDC RS-232C
to the -12 and 12 volt rails of real RS-232) for free
from http://www.maxim-ic.com

On the bright side, the software already exists. Take a
look at RTerm85... it doesn't do any kind of VT100 or
ANSI emulation but it certainly works.

$30 is an aweful lot to swallow for a graphlink and TI
doesn't need any more money as far as I'm concerned.

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net