Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Adam Johnson wrote:

> Now, to something with validity. With all these expanders and stuff, TI is
> neat, but in reality, what would be cool is robotics controls. No one on here
> has done something along these lines. My idea, make an expander that controls
> say, 10 motors. Use legos to make up the robot, heck, use paper, then you
> wouldn't need an external power source.... ; )

Well, you COULD use the 6 lines on the E2 module port to interface to
another MCU and do some I/O expansion.

But as I mentioned earlier to Rich, calculators would make miserable
robotics controllers. Not enough I/O, too much in the area of user
interface. You simply don't need a full keypad and 128x64 LCD on a
robot. What you do need is a few external interrupts, TONS of I/O,
timers, and other things like that. I could design a better robot
around a 20 pin AT90S1200 chip than around an entire TI-92.

I think this list has a pretty hard time using stuff for what it
was designed for. That's not always a bad thing, McGyver, but
its getting a little bit insane. I mean, a portable HD in an mp3
player? Come on, I can go pick up a discman for $60. Why would
I spend $400 to build my own portable mp3 player that's going to
break the first time I chuck it into my backpack a little too
hard? I wonder if Mel or Grant have considered the mechanical
fragility of the device they're designing.

Bryan

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net