Re: TI-H: Ph34r my 3r337 nu hax0red t0y

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Christopher Kalos wrote:

> But as long as I'm mentioning ideas, how about that old idea of
> redesigning the TI cases?  I'd like one that properly holds AA
> batteries, and maybe even has a belt clip.  Maybe this would some kind
> of holder for the calc itself, much like the cover, only better desgined
> to be permanently attached, yet unobtrusive.  THIS is more realistic
> than say, TILinux... although, that would also be very cool.  (Bryan,
> how much storage can you cram onto that current EII based on the latest
> firmware?)

If you wanna bother with SMD chips, you could use the 1MB chips. I may
actually build in 1MB functionality into the driver and have it
auto-detect. In theory the 45D041 chips have a different status word
than the 081s... however all of the 041s I have return '10000000' when
they're in the ready state, which does not follow the data sheet at
all. Maybe I got a bad production run?

Also... The ESF used a chip with something like 4096 bytes per page,
whereas the the E2 chip has 264 byte pages. In both designs it is
impossible to have two programs share a page... so as you can
imagine, if you have a bunch of 600 byte levels or something, you are
going to be wasting a LOT of space on the ESF, but not nearly as much
on the E2. That is why 512k should be enough for all of the
calculators, possibly excluding the 85.

> Other stuff... now that we have a schematic, who can make an IR link off
> of the EII?

It wouldn't be too difficult, you have 6 I/O lines to play with, but
I yanked the RS-232 code... you'd need to keep the bitrate waaay down
(below
30bps, probably) in order to use RS-232 anyway, and its probably better
design a two-way protocol, to keep the errors relatively down. Error
checking and packet processing is fine, but its better to keep errors
from
happening in the first place.

Bryan

--