RE: TI-H:PowerPC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-H:PowerPC

>I don't think that there is one URL for the whole thing.  However, the
>collection of files that you want is at:
>
>  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-5.1/i386/

What about if I want it on Alpha?  :)

>You'll need to repartition your drive (using fips, in the dosutils
>directory, if you want to save your Win95), and then copy the inst images to
>a boot disk or else use the autoboot thing that can load linux from dos.
>Installation is fairly easy, but not 1/2 as easy as installing Win95 (and 98
>is even easier).

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Fips will make you sorry if you don't do it
right.  You have to run scandisk, then defrag, then scandisk in order for
it to work good.  Then, even doing that, fips can ruin your life...  :)

[a kid at school did it to a detentist office's 'accounting' computer.  :)]

>I would recommend that instead of spending the next month downloading RedHat
>:) you get a $2 CD from http://www.linuxcentral.com/.  It's Red Hat Linux
>5.1 GPL , part #L000-007, and it costs $1.95, plus shipping (about $5, if I
>remember correctly).

Or just join an lug and then ask Redhat and they give you  the manual and
the 4 disc set for free.

>You might also want to get Running Linux, 2nd Edition from them.  It's by
>far the best beginning Linux book.  It leads you through installation, and
>on to much more advanced stuff.  The writing is clear, concise, and it's not
>so much that you get lost or bored, but not so little that you can't find
>the answer.  The book costs $21.95 there (plus shipping), but I got it at my
>local bookstore for $19.95 (and I didn't have to pay shipping).
>
>One more great source of info on Linux is the Linux HOW-TO, at
>http://www.sunsite.unc.edu/linux/.  Check the hardware compatibility HOW-TO
>to see if Linux will work with your hardware.  Especially check the video
>card, because XFree86 (kind of like Windows for Linux) is picky.

The best help there is is an lug.  People in those will usually drive over
to your house or tell you to bring your box to their house and they help
you...  Hunam experience is worth more than paper...  ;)

Follow-Ups: References: