Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

>Grant, you can't just "use" chips like that in normal designs... It's
>far above the average hobbiest, and far above most everyone in this
>list, probably including you :).

Naw.  I ordered the PPC chip and had it running a fortan interpreter, but i
figured that it would be a waste of time to port an mp3 player to it.  I
ordered the PPC403GC chip.  Its the most cost effective one I could find.
I was talking to someone about the downside of using the 8515 to controll
his cofee maker when he asked me if I'd ever used the PPC chip.

>Do you have any idea how many support chips such systems would
>require, and the fact that they're all 0.5mm spacing packages that are
>virtually impossible to solder without professional wave soldering
>equipment?

Realy, the PPC has most everything including the DRAM controller onchip.
Its made for embedded design.  Works realy cool.

Well, I have access to the university's lab.  They have all the stuff...
:)  The students will also make real nice boards.  The only problem is that
you pay for supplies, even if they mess up.  :\

>>Why don't you just reprogram an existing emulator and run it on an Imbedded
>>chip such as the 386 AMD, or if you want power, a $28 25MHz PPC 403.
>>
>>>I though about the multiple processors too.  depending on price and any
>>>interfacing problems i may have during development, i may do this.
>>>Perhaps three processors:  1 master and 2 slaves, with the master able
>>>to assign tasks to the slaves.  This means, however, that i would need
>>>the expander to be multiple access. this could be possible i guess, and
>>>i wouldnt need to worry about the processors interfereing with each
>>>others RAM, but i think it should be able to have each processor access
>>>the screen RAM and also have a cross buffer that can be used to cross
>>>processor memory transfers.  The interfaceing for these RAM parts tho
>>>could be difficult.  I dont know ill havce to try it out.  Does nayone
>>>knoe how much individual Z80's cost from anywhere/
>
>-Mel

---

To Subscribe to the ACplay mailing list, please send a message to
gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACPLAY"

To get an e-mail every time http://gussie.alaska.net is updated, please
send a message to gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACNOTIFY".

To talk to me direct, I'm 'weridguy' on AOL IM service.  I don't have an
AOL account, just the IM thing.

Thanks.

Follow-Ups: References: