Re: TI-H: off topic

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: off topic

>Grant Stockly wrote:
>
>> >     I would like to be able to power my notebook off  of my cigarette
>> >lighter in my car. The computer's power supply is 12 v and at  2.2 amps. I
>> >would like the power supply to have some sort of filter to prevent  any
>> >higher amperage from hitting the PC. If anyone can help, please e-mail
>> >me.   Greg
>>
>> you mean higher voltage.  Your laptop will not eat more amps just because
>> they are there.
>>
>> When your car is going 60MPh you are probably putting out atleast 13.8 to
>> 14 volts.
>
>The speed of your car has nothing to do with the output of the alternator (or
>generator).  It is the speed that your motor is running (the RPM) that turn
>your alternator.  Your car puts out more volts when you accelerate up through
>the gears or are going up a hill or downshifting down a hill then when you are
>cruising at 60 mph (at least if you have a 5th gear)

On the average car, anything above idle is 13.8 to 14 miles per hour.  I
said 60MPh because usually at that speed you are on a flat plain road and
you are in a fairly low gear.  And some new alternators actyally have a
good regulated output.  The real real old cars used to just use the battery
to ballence the output, but, they only put out 10 to 11 volts in the first
place...  :) (those were generators)

---

To Subscribe to the ACplay mailing list, please send a message to
gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACPLAY"

To get an e-mail every time http://gussie.alaska.net is updated, please
send a message to gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACNOTIFY".

To talk to me direct, I'm 'weridguy' on AOL IM service.  I don't have an
AOL account, just the IM thing.

Thanks.