Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

I have been working on a design similar to this.  It is a modular Z80
desgin.  It can be used from personal computer use like you want to, or
as a data collection system, or as a sophisticated controller, or about
a thousand other things you can thing of.  I'm only in the design stages
right now.

>From: kaus@cybrzn.com
>Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:25:50 -0600
>Subject: Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>

>Thanks for your input, Mel.  You've shown me how my idea would be
>impossible and therfore saved me hours of trying to get it to work:)
>Youre idea sounds complicated, and like you said, the average
electrical
>hobbiest wouldn't be able to do it.  I certainly would be lost, but
then
>again, I dont claim to be much of an electronic hobbiest either:)  The
>reson i wanted to do this anyway was most for personal reasons.  I am a
>programmer.  Pretty much cut and dry.  I program.  But, as a
programmer,
>i am insulted by the limits TI poses on us with their calculators.  I
>want complete control over teh entire computer system, which TI just
>doesn't give me.  I therefore am obliged to announce that i am going to
>create a better Z80 computer system that can be just as small, but more
>hardware adaptable and controllable.  Someone wants a memory expander,
>they plug in the chips to the parelel bus port out of the system and
>install a driver.  I dont want to be limited by TI-OS constraints.  I
>want overlays, i want Shell startup, i want complete interupt control,
>want most of the 64k RAM for my progs to work in, I want, I want, I
>want, I want!
>So, I was wondering: you said lots of people sell Z80 microproccesors?
>do they sell them singly?  I dont think Zilog does.  Maybe, i dont
know.
> I fthey did, i could slap that on a baord, with power supply,
>oscillator, and a big wide bus to put stuff on containing all of the 40
>pins from the processor.  With the Low profile thingies in computers, i
>can put SIM like memory modules in theri depending on how I want it
>setup.  A 2K System Rom would be sufficent, for all it has to do is
load
>up the actual shell from the memory expander built in to the system.
It