Re: TI-H: mp3

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: mp3

Joseph M. Geiss wrote:

> yah, its easy to compress it but, damn, its a pain to decompress(play) it on a
> slow computer.

Actually it takes a lot more CPU time to compress than to decompress.
Only
decompression has to be realtime, so it can seem more demanding. You can
compress an mp3 on an old 386 if you want, it'll just take a few weeks
:)

> I have an old 486 laptop that i use every so often and it takes like 10min to load
> a damn file.

Really? There shouldn't be much of a 'load' time associated with an
mp3.. it usually
loads a small amount of the file into DRAM at a time, as it plays.

> I read in some artice that MP4 would be 2x of MP3, 500K/min. with the same quality
> as mp3. seems to good to be true... time will tell

Yeah, but MP4 will require even more CPU power to encode/decode.

Do you live in the Baltimore area? Your e-mail address is from a local
library...
I'm up in Westminster. Small world, huh? :)

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net

Follow-Ups: References: