Re: TI-H: TI-Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-Modem

Brian Watson wrote:
> Well, unlike Grant, Mel has classwork to do and no spare time to fiddle
> on projects like his MP3 player.  Also, it's hard to find information on
> MP3 compression.  I was reading Mel's page and he says that it's
> copyrights.  Maybe Mel should talk with Grant...  In response to the
> Br?an question I think that there are about 3 on this list.

1. Grant wasn't in school too?!?

2. The MP3 compression/decompress algorithyms are indeed copyrighted,
and
in any case require an understanding of extremely complicated calculus
well beyond the abilities of most programmers. Unless Grant took AP
Calculus at age 5, I doubt he's had the necessary math.

3. Mel has plenty of free time, he's getting paid $10/hr to essentially
sit on his butt all summer. If he could just break that buffy addiction
his player would be done... it very nearly is, the hardware is totally
finished. I imagine he'll need a lot of time for the firmware though.

4. If Grant really did have a functional portable MP3 player don't you
think it'd be all over the media or at least the web by now? Certainly
Grant is no fool, and if he had such a device gawd knows he'd make sure
it was properly marketed.

I'm not disputing Grant's ability, but I'd still like to see his player
myself. Has he posted any technical details on it at all?

Bryan

Follow-Ups: References: