Re: TI-H: TI 86 backlight project

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI 86 backlight project

i dont know about cutting the foam,
but you need to get 1.5-2.0 mm plexiglass
1.5 being the best,  dont cut it with a saw beacause that would make
rough edges.  you must score it with a razor knife and then break it
over the edge of a table or something. or better yet, when you buy it
ask them to cut it to the right size,and tell them not to sand the edges
at all.  you want crystal clear edges for it to work the best(at least
this is what i have found)
and rough top and bottom.  dont use the baseball card holder...i dont
see how that would work well.  im sure you can even get the glass store
to cut you an old scrap for free. I havent actualy installed one yet but
i have been playing around with plexiglass and LED's trying to find what
works best, the thinest plexi that i could get was 2 mill
so i dont realy know how good ..say.. 1.0 mm would work, but it might be
better. I also tryed hot glueing a dozen small super bright surface
mount green LEDS around the edge and that seemed to work very well for
their size.(not much bigger than a BB).
I was also thinking of trying find an LED or EL backlit LCD of similar
size and use the backlighting components out of that...of coarse it
would have to be an old cracked on or very cheap.