Re: TI-H: RE:IRLink Schematics

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: RE:IRLink Schematics

Big advice. You guys think all this stuff is cool, I do too. But wake
up. 32k of ram, and someone wants to make their own internet for the TI
calcs? Get real. What I have been thinking about is a lower series
portable computer, from a TI-92's processor, similar keypad, and
display. Then you can do all that stuff :). You want my opinion, about
the WWW calc thing? Would be good if you got the FCC to give you a band
in major cities and then have antennas, not modems.

>From listown@towerguard.unix.edu.sollentuna.se Thu Jan 15 12:03:55 1998
>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:59:52 -0800
>From: Matt Johnson <matt.johnson@wmich.edu>
>Subject: Re: TI-H: RE:IRLink Schematics
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Sender: owner-ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>

>yes, exactly. Use the PDA/laptop system to generate enough profit to
>keep our calculators happy (i.e generate enough profit start connecting
>calculators). Kinda like a hinden agenda. Charge for PDA/laptop use
>while allowing the TI users connect for free. Then once the number of
TI
>users was great enough to create seperate system of it's own you could
>start to charge an inexpensive hourly fee (say $.50 for starters) to
>keep the demand up. All the while the PDA/laptop system is still
>creating money. So even though your TI system is losing money at first
>your still making money because of the PDA/laptop system (or branch).
>Then by the year 2010 the orignators will have a lot of money, and will
>be sick and tried of calculators and let the new kids take over.
>-mj
>
>Peter Sahlstrom wrote:
>>
>> What about some sort of system that PDAs, laptops, etc. could use and
that the TI
>> could connect to. (Promote it as for the laptops, etc, but make it
TI-compatable

>> matt.johnson@wmich.edu wrote:
>>
>> > Hmm, I think that it is definatly possible. But, it sounds like a
>> > project for the ti-hackers of the year 2010. We could possibly lay
down
>> > the ground work for such a system now. the only problem is in the
speed of
>> > the calculators. We would be much better off trying to setup a high
speed
>> > network for laptop and palmtop computers that did not use the
exsiting
>> > phone system. The demand on that system would much higher than that
of a
>> > calcuator based system because of the larger market and number of
users.
>> > Which would mean the time that it would take to start makeing
money, from
>> > the orignal investment, to get it working, would be minimized. But
the
>> > original investment would also be maximized.
>> >  -mj

CalcNet project

You could

with