TI-H: Color LCD with ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Color LCD with ASM

Hey! I had an idea. CASIO Color Graphing Calculators use a screen that
is the same size (in pixels) as a TI-85/86 screen. If three pages of
video data were used (EXACTLY like 8 shade grayscale), The TI might be
able to generate color data. I don't know how similar the CASIO and TI
LCD interfaces are, but I believe that in the TI-85, there are posibly
6 pins for the collumns and 9 for the rows, totaling 15, the number or
wires connecting the Screen to the main board. There is a + and - wire,
and that's it. I don't know if my guess is correct. All I know is that I
melted one once and it had every 6th collumn all black. I'm guessing
that there are at least 6 pins to drive the columns. Maybe the other 9
are vert/horz sync, clock, contrast settings, activation or something
else. All I know is that Someone must know how it works.

If someone knew EXACTLY how it worked, that would be the first step. The
second step is to see how the CASIO Color LCD takes data. If someone
figured that out then the final step would be to interface them. If you
cycled through all the colors, it would be a near black (I think). Off
is white. There is Orangish Red, Green, and Blue. I'm not sure, but they
may have one model that does cyan, magenta, and yellow (I know they have
at least two models with color).

I want to know how the two interface and create something that will go
between. It might be possible to even display TI standard monochrome on
it because the 3 pages it takes to update would be identical, resulting
in black.

I want to know what everyone thinks. I know many LCDs use similar
interfaces. Maybe we could figure out TI and CASIO LCD interfaces and
make a color TI! You can get a Casio color for $60, so for posibly under
$200, we could have a full color TI. The programs could be done like 8
shade grayscale and would simply be grayscale on non upgraded calcs!

I want to try this, but I want information before I waste $60 on a
CRAPIO. If I can't do It, I'll turn the Color screen into a jumbotron
for my model railroad (football or baseball stadium. Not sure which yet!
=).

I want lots of info and feedback. Even if no one cares about color, I
do, and I want to do it for myself too. I want others to know how, so
please help me out on this! I'm willing to invest some time into this.

I hope I get some help!

Thanks!

Richard Piotter

richfiles1@hotmail.com