TI-H: Re: just starting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Re: just starting

Go to the ticalc.org list archives and read them, later ones first, so
you can get caught up with what were doing curently and know what's
going on.

Here are some terms...

ESF: The first expander (discontinued because the chip for it is
discontinued)

EII: Expander II (a memory expander aimed for the TI-85, but wasn't
completed)

EIII: A memory expander that was to have many features such as offboard
processing and 8-bit sound.

EuP: Extender uP (memory expander for the TI-92 and possibly other
calcs)

EuP II: a planned EuP that will use a newer, beter microcontroler, the
AVR

AVR: a very nice microcontroler that is cheap, has lots of memory, and
is very powerful.

PIC: an older style microcontroler that has less memory and
programibility

IR link: proposed devices that are suposed to be capable if Infra red
data transfers. I'm not sure if there is a working one out now.

RF link: same as above but with radio waves. There definitely is not a
working RF Link. We almost had one, but the chips were discontinued.

Backlight: a light to light up the screens. I designed a TRUE backlight
that works well. Everyone else wants to use $95 Electro luminecent
panels (like indiglo watches) or strap some lights on the calc. Also
there is someone wanting to convert a gameboy light to slide on the TI
calcs.

I2C: a protocol that the TI-8x calcs can emulate without hardware. I2C
can be uses to connect the calc to I2C networks and a vast array of I2C
chips. The chips vary from temperature sensors to memory to LCD drivers.
There is even a paralel interface chip.

SPI or SPinTerface: a port I designed that makes building stuff for the
calc easier. It's a 10-pin port that is soldered or glued into the calc.
It has a voltage regulator installed and will provide power for devices
pluged into it. It has direct connnections to the battery, so you can
power the calc from the port. It also contains the two link pins. My
bigest use for it would be cartridges. I have several and wont list them
(go to my page to view them). You simply plug them into the port and run
the drver or program.

NOTE: I would like to make a SPinTerface II as well. Mel Tsai (designer
of the original ESF) discovered 4 new, unused ports on the TI-85. I want
to add these to the SPinTerface II and have a total of 6 lines (Could
still be done with 10-pins, but I may enlarge the port just incase I
need to for future expansion)

I'm sure I forgot something, but I would look at the list archives and
see what has been done before.

>i am very interested in making ti-harware and stuff but i dont know
>where to start or where to learn how. any idea's?

Richard Piotter

E-Mail:
richfiles1@hotmail.com
richfiles@usa.net