Re: TI-H: LCD problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: LCD problem

I got mine off successfully some time ago. Being that my family is into
construction, we've got some odd stuff lying around. Here's what I did:

Many contractors use a "utility knife" which is just a handle with a
retractable blade. The blade itself is replaceable and is a trapezoid
shape, about two inches long on the bottom and about and inch and a half
on the top.

I got one of these (blade only) from the storage room here poked it in at
the foam mounting strips which held the LCD to the PCB (Printed Circuit
Board, in case anybody wonders). Don't bother trying to get the edge of
the strips so you can reuse them.. something will get broken for sure.
Besides, foam mounting stuff is cheap at any craft store.

So I wiggled the knife around as much as I could to cut the strips. Then I
held the knife with some pliers so I could stick it in further and cut
more of the foam. After working the knife all the way around the screen,
it finally came loose.

Be sure to watch the LCD screen as you do this, and move the knife slowly.
If you see the LCD getting discolored, you could be putting too much
pressure on the blade against the LCD. Also, if you see a line appearing
(like on an etch-a-sketch) you should pull the blade back out and try
again. Etch-a-sketches get better by just shaking, but LCDs don't..

And be careful not to cut or pull the ribbon cables.

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com