Re: TI-H: REAL radio-link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: REAL radio-link

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Piotter <richfiles1@hotmail.com>
To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org <ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org>
Date: Monday, February 23, 1998 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: TI-H: REAL radio-link

>IS it possible to have one line modulate the amplitude and the other
>line modulate frequency. Then have a frequence counter and a level meter
>test the frequency and amplitude. never mind, I just realized why that
>would not work!
>
>New idea: Could a crystal generate a frequency high enough that the data
>can be multiplexed fast enough to avoid missing data???
>
>What about 4 separate frequencies SendTip, SendMid, RecTip, RecMid. You
>could have a switch to select whether your calc is 1 or 2. It is a
>little less "automatic", but by having the calcs set differently, you
>could send the data on two frequencies and recieve it on four
>frequencies. Maybe a little plug could be added, or dip switches used to
>select or switch crystals! You would carry two of the same crystal, and
>let the person you want to trancieve data with borrow one, or have
>several preset frequencies inside set by a switch. It would be VERY
>dificult to manualy tune it with a knob or something like that.
>

>Richard Piotter
>richfiles1@hotmail.com
>
>The Richfiles TI Page
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html

Sure, just make cartridges, like SPinTerface cartridges, that plug on the
end of the calc.
A 2 pin x 2 pin header would work.  That way, You could have several people
chatting, or
little groups of people, on different frequencies.  You could even "spy" on
people.

I think a standard tone generator could be used, then a tone decoder on the
other end.  When the data on the line is high, the transmitter transmits a
tone.  When there is a tone, the decoder goes high.  So, if you used
different tones for ring/tip and different tones on each calc, you could do
the whole thing on ONE frequency!!!!  This would not be very hard to make.
The hardest part is making it fit inside the calc.

You know what would be cool?  Put a telescoping antenna on your calc!  Like
a radio.  Everyone I know thinks that I am obsessed with my calculator.
Maybe I am :-)  Anyway, an antenna would sure be funny.

Theoretically, you could use a radio link to connect to your computer.  Plug
one end into the calc.  Take the other link, plug in a power source (or use
the serial port's), plug it into a link cable, and then into the computer.
You could also use it to plug into Grant's network.  Since half the people
in my math class have a TI-calc, I could rent out radio-links and internet
access.  Have Grant's hub in my backpack with radio-links plugged in.  Have
it hooked to a palm-top computer.  Get a wireless internet PCMCIA card.
Once I learn ASM (hopefully pretty soon)  I will work on an internet-access
program.  At least something to check my e-mail :-)  Hey, I could sell this
system (minus all of the radio-links) to my friends, and we could e-mail
back and forth!

BTW, I'm still looking for I2C parts!!!

                                                                -Robert
Brack