Re: TI-H: Indiglo Backlight/keylight

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Indiglo Backlight/keylight

>Can EL Panels be cut??? If they can, and you have a glass cutter, you
>can get 10.6" x 6.5" inch EL panels from All Electronics for $6!!! $10
>gets a 12" x 6.5" inch panel! They are mounted on glass though, so that
>may pose as a problem. If the glass was scored, and EL panels can be
>cut, that might be a good deal??? If you can solder them, that would be
>even better. Maybe you could make more than one then, but I doubt that,
>cause the fact they're mounted on glass. Otherwise, you can probably
>find them else where. All Electronics also has a 64x440 pixel LCD with
>built in EL backlight and inverter for $15. If you cut the EL in half,
>and use the inverter (5 volts!!!), it would WORK!!!

I have some el media, but it's in the shape of a lettered sign, so I can't
use it for a calc.  Anyhow, it's a coating applied to a plastic type
material, so it's flexible, and you can cut it with scissors.  It goes
round corners and stuff, you just need two contacts roughly on either side
of the material.  The stuff I have has leads printed on the plastic to the
el bit, and then wires soldered to that.  You should be able to buy it in
strips or sheets roughly the same width (or height) as a calc screen and
just cut off as much as you need.

BTW, when replying, quote pertinent info only please.  I don't really want
5 page mails with 10 old messages appended to the end.  I know that the
auto quote feature of your mail program is really nifty, and it's cool to
show it off and stuff, but it's not too hard to remove unnecessary text.

Ritchie