Re: TI-H: restatement of request and a nifty idea

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: restatement of request and a nifty idea

> i first have one question:  is there any way to make an A/C appliance (ie
> nightlight) plug into battery's? (it would have to be compact)
> i saw a nightlight that is about 1 1/2 mm thick that was an indiglo thingie...

Yes. That's how UPSs work. The device which converts AC to DC is called a
rectifier, so a device that converts DC to AC is called an inverter.

The nightlight was probably called a LimeLite when it was new. Now it is
probably a handful of parts.. There really isn't anything in there. The EL
(electroluminescent) panel is just connected directly to the prongs which
plug into a wall outlet. EL panels get brighter as the voltage and
frequency being supplied to them increase.

Sipex, Dupont, and Quantex are some manufacturers of EL panels. The EL
backlight idea was circulated on this list once before, but to my
knowledge nobody has ever actually tried it. I would (I've got all the
parts) but puting 120 VAC inside my TI-85 makes me a little nervous. Maybe
sometime after my R&D budget gets a little bigger.. Then I can replace the
calc if necessary.

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com