Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

>You might not have heard, but microsoft had to recall thousands of
copies
>of Win95 beta and 3.1 because they used direct quicktime code verbatim.

Copyright infringment is a different matter, unless Apple
found a way to patent the usage of a GUI, Microsoft (and
everybody else who makes GUI's) is at no fault for using
the same idea.  I won't elucidate any further points in
this argument here, since it seems unlikely that anyone
will seriously take an opposing position.

I don't know all the details surrounding the Microsoft/Apple
situation with QuickTime, but if the case was decided against
Microsoft it must have been clear that someone ripped the
code against copyright laws, weather they knew it at the time
or not (I seem to recall that there was a small third party
involved?).

Possably something similar to what happend to Tengen back
in the earlier days of NES.

>BeOS and an intel is gay.  The intel doesn't even have network support
yet.

I read that the new release 4 does have network support. A
quote from MSNBC's review at http://www.msnbc.com/news/default.asp :

"The system also includes an improved network stack, a better
PPP implementation, and native support for DHCP address
configuration. A client for Microsoft Networks will become
available in R4.1."

They also refer to a web server that runs on BeOS, which
indicates that a TCP/IP stack is available, however they
give no indication of what NICs are available with drivers,
or if all network support is currently provided over only
a modem interface (which is still networking, just over
a PPP connection).

>From the few reviews I have read most everybody who uses
it is reasonably happy with it.

>I also think Linux on an N64 is gay.

Someone is porting linux to the N64?  Nice project as a
hobby (probably more useful than a TI with a gigabyte of
HD space), but doesn't sound particularly useful as a
commercial project.

DK