Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

>Now time for the timeline.  Its kinda funny, since everything is
>impliminted by Apple, then used by microsoft.

Happens all the time, not sure why people find it so significate
that Microsoft used an interface similar to Apples (which was
similar to Xeroxs, as some will point out).  Companies are always
building on ideas from other companies, there is nothing wrong
with it, and it doesn't say much about the quality of either
product.  Ford was the first to make decent cars most people
could afford, that doesn't make a Chevy (Honda, Saturn, etc)
any less good.

Also, in the case of computer user interfaces, I'm not sure
what else they could have done.  I suppose they could have
made a GUI that wasn't windowing, but that was a natural
extension of the Windows concept from way before Microsofts
GUI (hence the name 'Windows').  I think it was Windows 2.0
that had 4 text windows that you could switch between.

When was Apples first windowing GUI anway?  I remember using
Apples in my elementary school back in about '82-3, and they
didn't have that GUI then (but then we didn't even have mice
either, and I know they've been around for about 7 years longer
than I).  Windows 3.0 Enhanced mode came out about '88 I think,
which means it was probably in development starting sometime
in '86 or so.

Anybody have any opinions on BeOS?  Looks like it could be
a competitor for part of MSs market soon, along with Linux
in a couple of years.  Does BeOS have a good JVM yet?

DK