TI-H: portable CD kit

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: portable CD kit

I'm making a kit to turn an Audio CD-ROM or any CD-ROM into an ATAPI drive.

+------------------------+
|Motor and Head Assembley|(Only part of the DiscMan I use.  The rest is
gutted.)
+------------------------+
then comes the laser decoder and spindle driver...
|SAA7376 - Digital servo processor and Compact Disc decoder (CD7)|
and now the decoder to be used on the ATAPI bus...
|SAA7388 - Error correction and host interface IC for CD-ROM|

Some things that aren't realy important but needed are the:

thing that boosts the signals for moving the laser assembly...
|SZA1010 - Digital Servo Driver 3 (DSD-3)|
and the laser amp...
|TDA1300T, TDA1300TT - Photodetector amplifiers and laser supplies|

The reason I use the discman is because its extremely hard to find CD laser
/pickup and motor assembly that are small and low power.  Its would also
cost a few thousand to fab a case...

This all would cost about $26 or so.  You could throw out the 7388 and hook
up a dac, then you would have made your own audio CD player.  But there are
CD6 chipsets for that, the 7377.

All of these are Philips parts...  I'm going to build this for a laptop and
possibly the mp3 player.  It would be a standard ATAPI drive, so throwing
the hitachi in there with it wouldn't be too hard...

I'll explain exactly how the sledge, radial, focus, and spindle work and
what they do allong with any other questions.  I'm tired so I'm going to
bed.

Grant