Re: Re(2): TI-H: mind vs. computer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re(2): TI-H: mind vs. computer

In a message dated 12/25/98 6:57:15 PM Central Standard Time,
markus.raty@usa.net writes:

> Weel, actually, if you think about it, you wouldn't do without electricity
>  either, you just have a way of making the electricity for your needs.
Granted, humans' quality of life would decline, but we could survive without
electricity (although a population decrease would be certain.)

>  the reason we can live without food and water is, that we store some amount
>  of both in our bodies consuming it later. After, say two weeks without
food,
>  you would be very tired and out of your mind and would be also losing
>  memories and knowledge, even forgetting how to perform simple functions
like
>  riding a bike or using your computer...
Most humans would probably lose memories and knowledge, but those prepared for
the task of going without food (such as the hunger-strikers in India from past
times) can easily survive much longer times of starvation with little or no
detrimental effect.  Another thing is that caloric energy is much easier to
store than electrical energy (why do you think so many people are overweight?)
and at this point, storing enough energy to operate a computer for an extended
period of time is unfeasible.  In addition, humans' energy supplies are
portable (their fat and sugar stores) while computers' (powerlines) are
generally not.

Rob Hornick