Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

Well pretty much... UDP is good for quick data that you don't care about.
If you use it for, say ICQ, now thats just wrong. There could be many other
options to ICQ tho, I mean, since ICQ is completely insecure and unstable
some of the time (i.e. cannot connect to network, cannot send message, etc.).

At 01:59 PM 12/21/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Ah, so the people that Make ICQ are stupid for using UDP? I car what
>packets are lost, and doesnt that mean Transfers have a better chance
>to be corrupted? I smell superglue.
>
>At approximately 12:09 PM -0500GMT on the day Earth People call
>12/21/98, Jon Olson declared:
>
>> People use UDP because it doesn't require an ACK to each packet like
>> TCP. For example in action 3d games like quake, half-life, unreal,
>> etc. You don't care if you miss a packet or two for most things (and
>> the things that do have ACKs internal to the higher level protocol),
>> so sending back an ACK on every packet you get just to say "Yah, i got
>> it." is a waste of precious bandwidth. UDP headers are also
>> significantly smaller than TCP headers
>
>---
>I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to
>the developers for which it stands, one platform, under Jobs,
>indestructible, with creativity and multimedia for all.

-Dan

Follow-Ups: References: