Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

In a message dated 12/19/98 1:24:15 PM Central Standard Time,
dknaack@geocities.com writes:

<< >Well, I don't think there is too much encryption out there the FBI can't
 crack
 >themselves (and I am sure there is nothing the NSA can't crack, so if it is
 >some guy cracking in to government computers and stuff, then the NSA can
 >figure it out.)

 Not true actually, heavy encryption systems, such as long key length
 public key encryption are safe, it is highly unlikely that any organization
 has the computer power to crack them.  This is one reason the government
 is concerned about the ease with which people have access to industrial
 strength encryption, they (currently) have no way to crack it.  Note that a
 vary large cluster of fast machines could probably crack the best encryption
 in a matter of months, however, such cracking would be limited to the
 highest priority messages, the time and money requred to crack messages
 from the average Joe just isn't worth it. >>
The NSA can crack 512-bit (I think it's bit?) encryption.  Isn't the strongest
commercial encryption 256 bit?

Rob Hornick