Re: TI-H: mind vs. computer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: mind vs. computer

The brain probably stores the info the same way the calc stores BASIC
commands, through "tokenization" (can you read my smart quotes?)  How
often have you completely missed a words context by looking at the
first few letters? Do you even realize the human brain does this? Did
you learn to read by Whole-Language or Phonics? Whole-Language is
guessing at what should be next (makes fast readers, although you
sometimes get the words wrong). Phonics reads the sounds and puts the
words together. (makes for slow, but accurate readers.)

Whole-Language:

See Spot
See Spot Run
Run, Spot, Run!

Phonics:

A c-a-t m-a-k-e-s a g-o-o-d m-e-a-l.

PS. I love cats, they are very nice animals. I do not eat them.

> In the case of scanning a page of text, which can be recalled
> and read at a later time, the individual has in some way stored
> at least 50k of information, perhaps as much as 300k.  I'd be
> suprised if it was not stored in such a way that the repetive
> information was not compressed in some fasion.  Perhaps studies
> of the way the brain stores information will improve our video
> and image compression routines.

---
I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to
the developers for which it stands, one platform, under Jobs,
indestructible, with creativity and multimedia for all.

Follow-Ups: References: