Re: TI-H: Re:

;> >>>You're going to spend more money and waste time with homebuilt junk... >>>Believe me... I'm in that position right now. :) >> >>So the $50 kit is probaby the way to go? > >Yes. > >>>>>How do I burn programs onto an AVR? Do I need a $500 >>>>>programming device (screw it!)? >>>> >>>>My feeling also, I don't want to spend more than maybe >>>>100 bux for programming, and even that is pushing it. >>> >>>The cheepest one you can build costs 7 jumper wires, an LED, a 25pin >>male >>>plug, and a 20pin DIP socket. >> >>Hmm, thats pretty darn simple, I wouldn't even have to buy >>anything for that, whats the disadvantage? >>Does the kit include a programmer? > >Its not a kit. :) And if you have a fast IBM compatbile, or a new one it >won't work. newer computers throw out extra high power parts on the >parallel port because they aren't needed in new computers. They just don't >drive the programmer. > >Its also an issue because BIOS in new computers sometimes tries tog get in >the way and mess with things... > >>>>I also would like to know what kind of support an AVR will >>>>require in a simple installation. For instance, suppose >>>>you want to use an AVR to trigger a relay for a specifed >>>>time period when a switch is pressed, in addition to the >>>>AVR, a relay (and maybe a clamping diode), a switch and >>>>possably a voltage regulator, what will be needed? >>> >>>Power and a crystal resonator unless you buy the chips with the fuse >>bit set. >> >>Cool, whats the fuse bit for, and is that something that you >>would/could (want to) do yourself? > >It does things like enables the onboard osc. So you don't have to have any >external components. Kinda like the GCX. > >Grant > the only problem wiht the onborad osc is that it is fixed at 1MHz. fine for little stuff, but whenthe chip is capable of 20MHz, its a bit worthless. but, i am pretty sure you can cahnge the bit yourself, during the programming. i havnt looked at the AVR data sheets lately, but i thought that was what it said.
Follow-Ups: References: