Re: TI-H: Re:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re:

>>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
>>>male
>>>
>>>Hmm, thats pretty darn simple, I wouldn't even have to buy
>>>anything for that, whats the disadvantage?
>>>Does the kit include a programmer?
>>
>>Its not a kit.  :)
>
>I was refering to Atmels starter kit, sorry, Iwas a bit vague.

Ok.  The starter kit isn't realy a put together kit, its a take it out of
box kit.

>>And if you have a fast IBM compatbile, or a new one it
>>won't work.  newer computers throw out extra high power parts on the
>>parallel port because they aren't needed in new computers.  They just
>don't
>>drive the programmer.
>
>I see, does that mean that older ports will source more current than
>newer ports?
>Would a handful of transistors and an external power supply fix this
>problem?  And is it worth fixing, considering that the start kit comes
>with a serial cable for programming (so says the AVR page).

I don't know.  It just depends on the motherboard.

I'd get the starter kit though, its supposed to come with 2 parts anyway...

>>It does things like enables the onboard osc.  So you don't have to have
>any
>>external components.  Kinda like the GCX.
>
>Hmm, the onboard osc sounds like it would be nice, are there
>disadvantages to using it? (assume so, or it would probably be enable by
>default).

It takes an expensive programmer to enable the bit, but you can buy the
chip with the bit pre-set.  Look for 'A' in the part number.

Grant