No Subject

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Hi all,
	In the past, several members of this list have made reference to AVR
microcontrollers, especially with respect to the E2 project.  I would
like to start experimenting with microcontrollers, and I thought this
would be a good place to ask some questions, even though they might not
necessarily be on topic.  (Z80!  :)
	First off, I'm wondering what exactly AVRs are capable of.  I'm looking
to be able to control electronic devices (motors, relays, light bulbs,
LEDs, etc.) with my TIs (86 and possibly 89) and also to be able to send
data back to the TI (from motion sensors, light sensors, etc.).  Later
on, perhaps, I'd like to control other projects I might dream up.  Is the
AVR the best tool for these jobs, or would I be better suited with other
components?
	I'm also wondering about cost.  Are AVRs very expensive?  (Grant's
comments about Bryan Rittmeyer's E2 AVR pricing come to mind.)  I saw on
Atmel's web site a $49 "starter kit."  Is this worth it, or is it just a
waste of money?
	Another question I have is that of programming.  Do I need to learn
another form of ASM?  Atmel's site mentioned C.  Do I need a separate C
compiler for this?  How do I burn programs onto an AVR?  Do I need a $500
programming device (screw it!)?
	Finally, how much support is there for AVR development?  Are there
newsgroups/listservs/etc. devoted to their use?  Does Atmel provide
telephone/email tech support?

Thanks,
Kevin J. DeGraaf

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]