Re: TI-H: Mel??? Err /: BYE!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Mel??? Err /: BYE!!!

Except that the Mac is used almost exclusively by publishing companies for the
graphics and text and such (desktop publishing). There is a reason, Macs have
better DP software, and that part of buisness WILL keep it running for many
years to come. Also, I'd never sell one of my Macs. I still have a Performa
550/CD with only a 33 MHz 68030, and I still think it's a good computer!!!

Besides, If I needed a PC, I could just get Virtual PC or SoftWindows or a
Hardware card. Cheaper than even the cheapest and crapiest modern PC.

The Mac will live, regardles of the short insight of Mac doomsday prophets. If
Apple was supposed to die because of this, then they wauld have long ago!

Apple may have a low market share, but they always have had it. You have to
look at PCs individualy for this to be valid. Look at NEC, Toshiba, Dell,
Gateway, Compaq, IBM, and however many other computer comanies there are.
THere are thousands of super small PC manufacturers, who sell their own brand
localy (count them as one giant group, constantly changing), but then look at
the others. They each are big, but only provide a fraction of the PCs. Then
throw Apple in there, and you see they aren't so small afte all!

They also have the HIGHEST loyalty (return purchase) rate of ANY computer.
People look at them like they are going to die, caus eof the small proportion
of the PC buisness they provide, but then look at Compacq as if it were allone
against all the other PCs. It'd also look like it's got low market share.
Peopel forget that and comapre mac to PC, where it needs to realy be Mac to
Compacq, to IBM, to Gateway, to MEC, etc, etc, etc. That is why Apple looks so
small and measly! They aren't too diferent than the other companies.

Apple also has it's strenths. They are good word processors, Desktop
publishers, Graphics and movie making machines. THey have a high regard when
you look at the educational software, and it is known for ease of use, making
it a good computer to start with. Compatibility programs are standard stuff,
and allow you to read PC disks and files. Apple knows they need to be
compatible with the other world. I can say this much! Mac disk drive read PC
disks with higher accurac than A PC drive. I've heard numerous stories of two
PC users with disks they are trying to swap, and they use a mac as a middle
machine to do the copying, cause the PCs can't share the disks! I've done this
so many times!!! THe Mac is also a bit more comunicative. It tells you more
when it formats a disk, lets you know if there was a problem, and tells you
details about file copying. I have not had an app bring down the OS since I
installed Mac OS 8.1, and I have had one crash in the past 4 months!!! THat
was also expected cause I was doing some stupid stuff I knew wasn't good!
Managing the OS is easier, and trouble shooting is a breeze when things do
quit working. They are simple and the one button mouse is not the end of the
world. You can buy 1, 2, 3, 4 and even more button mice!!!! GOD!! is this so
hard to do? they sell you one button mice for simplicity. You don't need it.
If you do, you can always add it for a few bucks!!!

I will defend the Mac to the very end, and I know that'll be a long time! The
GUI is simple for a reason. It lets you do things easier, and easier means
more productive!!! I remember hearing that IBM used to bay programmers by the
lines of code they wrote. or something like that. Think about it, if you coud
do something efficiently in 3 lines, or slower in 12, what woud you pick if
you had that payment method! PC users stil think this way. Well, it's simpler,
so you must not be able to do as much. It's the opposite. I saw some poll a
couple years ago saying how PC users in some office were given Macs and they
did like 30% faster than the PCs, but with only an hour of explaining and
training, where they had used PCs for years!!! It wasn't the speed of the
machine that made them so productive, but the ease of use and simplicity!!!
Tell me that isn't a good factor to look for in a computer!!!

I remember what a high performance mac used to cost. Now look! The owest of
the high performance macs still kicks a PII300 in the @$$!!! It also is only
$1400! The low end machine is a COMPETE system with monitor dfor only $1300!
I'd like to see you get a PII300 with monitor at that price, cause you'd need
to go even faster than that to even match it!!! The $3000+ machines are high
end machines that are for things that actualy require the processing power.
What about the $2300 G3 powerbook. It's a good computer, and one of the
fastest, if you don't count the faster G3 Powerbooks! (:

Also, I think that the Mac has plenty of software. I will not deny that the PC
is over flowing with software, but look at it! most of it is games. Many
programs are addons to the system (things that Macs already have in some
cases), and there is ofcourse a lot of standard buisness software. Macs have a
ot of stuff, and all of what you NEED. They don't always have the newest game,
but the quality of Mac games sure as hell makes up for the lower numbers of
them. And don't tell me there are almost no mac games at all! There are
plenty!!! And they are pretty good ones too! If you need more, go into the
shareware and freeware, cause ther internet overflows with those!

Apple is making a come back whether you see it or not. I see it, and know
anything like that takes time. I hope it's soon, but I know they will at least
survive. Even if they become a special purpose company, providing high end
machines to high end users, they will still continue to exist!

Even when they do finaly die (no company will ever last forever, and that
includes your beloved intel and micr$oft), the mac will live on for decades,
and even beyond, simply due to the loyalty factor. People will keep the
machine and get the high performance peripherals and software for a fraction
of their original price since the company died. We'll be able to push our Macs
to the limit and get anything we want for them, sometimes for nearly free, or
at least cheap! We will use the machine for years to come, even though the PC
standard continues to go on, changing constantly, leaving obsolete machines in
it's wake, that no one wants, cause they don't do anything more than the new
ones do. Macs are special cause they are good computers. They have a longer
lifespan. You can use a Macintosh SE/30 as a server. I've seen a Classic run a
second portrait monitor and access the internet. Plus can too i think! I can
get Mac OS 8 on as low as a 68040 I think. The Mac 128 and 512 can be upgraded
to Plus easily. They all use a simple easy to use interface. They are powerful
computers!!! They can be used for many years to come. I have seen Mac Classics
and LCs, all the way up to high end powermacs, all networked and being used
for the same classes.

Macs will live with or without Apple. Apple just makes them better and better,
but they will never become a bad machine to use. I mentioned it before. Look
at the Commodore. It's a machine that was ahead of it's time. The 128 was an
amazing machine! It had THREE processors!!! one for the C64 mode, one for
C128, and one for C/PM mode (a Z80 to be exact! Ha, now I'm on topic!!! :) It
was a good machine, and It is obsolete, but many people still use them! (I do! :)

Even if Apple dies, the Mac will essentialy be the next Commodore, but that
will be a long time from now. Apple will survive longer than you probably
expect! So don't hold me to hose Commodore/Mac comparisons just yet! (:

        ___  ___
       /  '-'  /\
      /______ /  |
     | _____ |   |
     ||     ||   |
     ||_____||   |
     |ó  ___ |   |
     |_______|, /
    /|________|/
    \__________,-.
    /###### ##/|  \_
   /###### ##//   (/
  <=========</

Long live the Macintosh!

(P.S. It's even easier to link with the calcs using the mac software!!!)

This will be one of my last messages. I think I'm waiting till tommorow to
unsubscribe. (I am though, just so everyone knows)
--

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html

Follow-Ups: References: