Re: TI-H: USB Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: USB Link

>I though it had three internal PCI slots???
>
>Oh well. I agree. Apple made an nice machine for FIRST time users, who don't
>have existing hardware, but for the REAL mac user (or even anyone with
>something as simple as a printer) you'd have to trash your old equipment! That
>sucks! THey coud have afforded to have one serial connection (like the
>powerbooks) and a SCSI port. Seriously, they could hacve the 25 pin or even
>the little square one on the powerbooks. THey wouldn't have lost much space,
>and what's the deal about two USB ports??? At least that's what I heard, but
>anyway, why two, if they can handle 127 connections??? I'm realy going to buy
>254 peripherals??? Right.

No.  There are two ports so you can have two devices without buying a
hub...  You have to use a hub with usb when you want to put more than 1
device in a port.  Apple is going to offer SCSI, ZIP, and floppy USB
attachments.  And since they are hotswapable, people won't be plucking
their scsi HDs out while the puter is on and fry it.

an AVR that translates TI and USB might be a better idea, since
>then you could use the USB for standard stuff,

That is what I'm doing...

>like a graphlink (after all,
>the graphlink can't be used with the iMac, since there is no serial port!!!)
>
>Grant, I won't buy an iMac till they put at least SCSI back in, but I think it
>would be a good thing if you made an AVR that works like a USB graphlink!

It is too easy to add 2 serial ports to a computer over USB...  Just get
one of the AnchorChips, add a uart, and there you go.  The anchor chips
have a 128k per sec max transfer rate and have a built in 8051 with 2, 4,
8, or 16k of memory.  You have the option of adding external ram also...
(ie USB EII :)  )