Re: TI-H: Off topic but...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Off topic but...

>This is a little off topic but I'll ask it any way
>Does anyone know where I can get some detailed info on MMU's(memory
>managentment units)??  Mel, maybe you can help me with this

Dedicated MMU's basically don't exist anymore.  When a designer wants
to extend or enhance the memory of their processor, they either resort
to their own ASIC or it'll be built-into the chipset.  Worst-case
they'll use a GAL or PLD or something.

Most advanced processors have built-in MMU's (for example, the MIPS
processor line has their own advanced protected memory scheme) but
they're generally not called "MMUs" anymore because of their
integration.  It's just an added function to the processor feature
set.

-Mel