TI-H: URGENT regarding EL backlight

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: URGENT regarding EL backlight

David, when i odered my first EL kit, i argued with you about magnet wire, and
I realy didn't trust the enamel coat and stuff, but it has held out long and
well, and it worked great, except for the MASSIVE EMF that the EL produced. I
had one calc so bad that the LCD had a rolling light and dark ripple from the
EMF (It takes a powerful EMF to influence an LCD in that fasion from my
understanding of the circuitry. If I removed my extra EMF shielding from
ground, then the screen just totaly screwed and started showing garbage!

I have had 4 or 5 other calcs with serious problems as a result of the EMF, MY
TI-86 actualy won't come on anymore, even though I removed the EL!!! (only 3
months old to!!! but the warantee is pretty well screwed!)

Anyway, It just hit me, this is an intense EMF, Electro MAGNETIC Field.

I though about it for a moment. and I used plain multistranded wire for the EL
panel on David Norelids calc. I couldn't believe it! NO noticable EMF at
ALL!!!! I'm wondering if it's the magnet wire being used???

I'll know tomorow. Brian Watson returned a calc that was EL'ed and failed. I'm
going to replace the Magnet wire with plain multistranded wire. if it works
after that, then I would highly recomend that you use plain old multi stranded
wire (where the heck did you ever get the idea of using magnet wire???) You
don't need thick wire, cause the curent is extremely low. (I'll touch an
inverter without question and not worry about it! (Of course I've also touched
plugs and a flyback transformer in my monitor too, so a dinky little EL
inverter is like a watch battery in my eyes! :)

At least those weren't on purpose though!
--

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html