Re: TI-H: Hardware for the TI-83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Hardware for the TI-83

Julian wrote:

> Bryan Wyatt wrote:
>
> > What About turboing it, anybody think that's a good
> > idea or is it a waste of time?
>
> You decide: 3x as fast, 2x-3x as fast battery usage.
> Also, ASM games are basically unplayable.
>
> --
>  - Michael Astrauskas (AKA Julian/Trevie-san),
>    ICQ UIN: 1946065 (Trevelyan)

Umm, I've used ALL the calcs from the 80 to the 92 and all are turboed except
the 80. I have NEVER noticed extra batery drain! I'm sure it does, but the LCD
uses most of the power, the chips use VERY little, and the 2x is NOT
calculator wide! it's only the system clock. this is why the LCD screws up on
TI-82/83/92 if you simply pull the cap. the TI-85 is diferent and the only
problem is an occasional line, which is solved by long wires or a 1 pf cap.

a switch can be added to ALL the calcs, not just the TI-81/85/86. It's a
little more complex, but the switches I use are discrete and take little space.

also, have you ever played Daedalus for the TI-85??? you NEED turbo to run it.
it's a DOOM clone featuring grayscale graphics and multiple level support! It
needs some upgrading (EII support would be nice!!!)

Besides, there are many games where you have beaten them so many times you can
play them with your eyes closed. turbo is like that super challenge mode. it
seriously adds new life to old games!!! also, it's nice to switch it on for
pauses and stuff where you don't want to wait as long.

It also adds REAL use to BASIC programs of ANY kind!!! I've done 3D wire frame
in BASIC before using turbo!!! it's still too slow for games, but it is just
cool. I still hav code on an old floppy somewhere, and the 2D code for the
same prog.

the 3D code was never given an interface though, cause it used too many
buttons, and it slowed down big time, and the buttons couldn't be arranged
neatly (where does the 3rd Dimention fit on a 2D keyboard where you already
have the diagonals filled by other commands???) the keybord seriously was
stuffed, over half the keys were utilized for stretching and flipping and
bending and sliding a 2D image stored in a matrix. Turbo realy helped it ALOT!!!
--

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html