Re: TI-H: *Great News*

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: *Great News*

>     The intial cases I get will be free. Those will probally go to the people
> who help me come up the the cad file, and other stuff (*hint*hint* help me come
> up with a CAD file and get a free case or two!). After I get the
> rapid-prototyped part and guys at Georgia Tech can't make me anymore parts,
> I'll have to go into production myself or give it to someone else to do. The
> silicon mold cost about $50 and I hope to make 10 cases before the mold dies.
> So I could probally sell them for $6.00 (heck, I want a little money for the
> work) plus shipping. With a silicon mold I can only make a case a day, and
> black will probally be the only color I'll be able to make (the actual material
> is an epoxy like substance that takes 24 hours to setup).

Like I said, I have GREAT designs that people have seen before and seemed to
like (a couple people said they liked it a lot). I don't ahve CAD, but I'll
send my designs to anyone who does have it. They include everything you'd
need. Speaker, volume, switches, and holes for plugs. The holes for all
switches and plugs are popouts, which simply means the plastic is thinner so
you can break and then trim it so you can add only what you want. Speaker and
volume controls are a bit more dificult to mess with, so, unless I redesign,
those are permanent. I think I can easily change that though. I just need to
find a good part from mouser or DigiKey. I use All Electronics stuff quite
often, but that's surplus, and a case like this NEEDs to use standard parts
that are no likely to be discontinued.

Also, do you know haw to make molds??? If so, you could use the last casting
made from it to make a new mold.

I have done simple plaster molds before. It's not that difficult to make the
molds. Is it like silicone you can get from a hardware store??? I'd make
additional molds from the case I'd buy or get (get, get, get, PLEEEEZE! :) and
continue producing them even after the original mold is unusable. That molding
I did before, almost was silicone, but a freshman in highschool has to choose
cost savings over quality or ease of use! (:

I have read much on it. I'd like to try. Also, are you using a thin lubricant
to help preserve the original mold? One source says molds with few engraved
details can often use a type of lubrication to help the casting be removed.
I'd have to re read all my materials. It could possibly extend the life of the
mold for a few tries.

Then again, you could
> always spraypaint the damn thing. :)

I've done that before (:

Oh, and about the LCD...

the filter is actualy a polarizer. It is not simply a filter.

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html

Follow-Ups: References: