Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

Gulopine R Holiture wrote:

> Look guys, what's the point of making all this stuff?  With current
> technology, the smallest you could get is an add-on the size of a shoe-box,
> with a cord hanging out.  Sure, it'd be "neat" to have a web browser on a
> calc, but it wouldn't be able to support color, extensive graphics (which
> nearly everything is nowadays).  Yes, Richard, hyperlinks do work in
> terminal programs.  How do you think you get around?  I'd be up for a
> text-based browser, but how web sites do you know that are entirely
> text-based?  We'd need a whole new network.  The safest bet would be to ask
> ticalc.org to put up some extra pages, just for this network.  The biggest
> problem I can see though, is getting dial-up access.  I'm sure no one here
> wants to hook their calc up to a computer just use a text-based web browser.
> If you did that, why not just use Netscape on your computer?  So in order to
> have the calc completely independent, you'd need a dial-up system.  The
> easiest way to do this would be to write a clone of Winsock on the calc.
> Port it to every system, and have a Dial-up Netwrking program like Win95.
> If Winsock is emulated correctly, it'll be able to interface with external
> computers just like your computer does.  Then you could dial up your
> favorite internet service, and the ISP won't know the difference, except
> perhaps for slower access times.  Once you have Winsock connected (in TSR
> interrupt mode), you could run an external program compatible with Winsock
> to do whatever you need to do.  You could run an FTP program, a text-based
> web browser, a pop3 e-mail program, even IRC!  I guess a web browser would
> be able to support small (100 pixels wide) b&w images, but that's still not
> much.  Like I said earlier, we'd need a whole new web server designed to be

this solution is a little overkill.  would be a lot simpler to use the a
ti-graph link an external modem. and a terminal program and just dial into your
ISP and use it as a shell account (most decent ISP's have lynx installed if
their running some Unix variant) if not then you would have to use the method
you described.