Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

>Why copy Windoze stuff? Go with BSD sockets or something. But that's
>details...

I'd rather not copy Windows stuff, but since Windows is the accepted
standard (as disgusting as that is), it'd havae to be able to work with the
same protocols.

>no new server system needed. Just better web designers. I
>always make sure my pages are Lynx-friendly. =)

"better web designers"  Do you plan on going around the webt and saying
"Excuse me sir, I'd like you to modify your site so I can view it on my
calculator.  Thank you."  I don't think that's going to get very far.  Like
I said with the winsock thing, I'd love it if we could do it ourselves, but
the world has accepted standards, and "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"
Sorry, but that's the way it's gotta be.

>$3500 to get a color browser... ;)

It'd be $3500 for one person to get the development kit, and he would use it
to create the individual stand-alones, and sell them at a bit higher cost
than parts, in order to get his money back.  Everybody wouldn't have to pay
$3500, just pitch in a little bit.  And it doesn't have to be color, either.
Another option is a 320x200 monochrome passive LCD.  Though it's not 640x480
like the AMEL's, it's still better than even the 240x128 offered by the 92.

>I think the real problem behind the webbrowser bit is fitting in the internal
>memory, along with a TCP stack and shell. Especially thrwoing in email, ftp,
>etc. I suppose the 92+ and 89 might be more viable platforms for it, though.

That's why I offered the option of an external module using the calc's
interface, but with an external processor to do the actual browsing and
such.  Imagine a 92 totally devoted to internet access.  Not even any
calculator programming on it.  If someone could get ahold of a 68k
programmer and a couple hundred chips, we'd be set for memory.
Unfortunately, if you want to buy them, Motorola refers you to another
company, which sells the development kits for $600 each, and the chips for
about $10 each, assuming you buy 10,000 of them, of course.  :(

>That, and the lack of more than one or two people who are both interested in
>it (enough to program it) and mind the hassle of doing it all from a UNIX
>shell with a terminal. We've had discussions like this before on one of these
>lists...

I agree with you there.  So many people are willing to use it, but not to
make it.  I know I wouldn't be able to make it, but I'm willing to give my
input, and learn how to program it, so that I can chip in.

-Gul