Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI92 and modem

>    I'd be up for a
> text-based browser, but how web sites do you know that are entirely
> text-based?  We'd need a whole new network.  The safest bet would be to ask
> ticalc.org to put up some extra pages, just for this network.

ticalc.org itself is already text-friendly, by the way. And most (good)
webpage designers do the same, using ALT args in the image tags, having text
links to substitute for imagemaps, etc. I still use Lynx regularly, actually,
because of jobs on several UNIX boxes. (I can remember when I used to turn off
image-loading on Mosaic.. Oops, am I aging myself?)

> easiest way to do this would be to write a clone of Winsock on the calc.
> Port it to every system, and have a Dial-up Netwrking program like Win95.
> If Winsock is emulated correctly, it'll be able to interface with external
> computers just like your computer does.

Eww. Why copy Windoze stuff? Go with BSD sockets or something. But that's
details...

> much.  Like I said earlier, we'd need a whole new web server designed to be
> compatible with this system.

Like I said above, no new server system needed. Just better web designers. I
always make sure my pages are Lynx-friendly. =)

>    They have an AMEL development kit too, that $3000 for the
> monochrome, and $3500 for the color.  That's the big problem, y'see.  Well,
> if anyone is interested, talk to Planar.

Heard about these... But I think they're a bit too expensive for something of
this class. $3500 to get a color browser... ;)

I think the real problem behind the webbrowser bit is fitting in the internal
memory, along with a TCP stack and shell. Especially thrwoing in email, ftp,
etc. I suppose the 92+ and 89 might be more viable platforms for it, though.
That, and the lack of more than one or two people who are both interested in
it (enough to program it) and mind the hassle of doing it all from a UNIX
shell with a terminal. We've had discussions like this before on one of these
lists...

-JuPo

Justin Pope              |  Frontier-II Director  |        //  Long live
jupo@ou.edu              | Amiga, TI-81/85, MUSE/ |     _ //      -=-
www.galstar.com/~jupo    |  MUSH/MUX Programming  |     \x/    the AMIGA